Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cake of Many Colors & Flowers!


Tonight I decorated a cake in beautiful and vibrant flowers. I used two flower techniques - ribbon roses and swirl flowers. It was a very tedious and time-consuming project, but I think it turned out beautiful!!!


To make the swirl flowers, I used a 2D tip and piped my flowers ahead of time on a piece of wax paper. This way, I could put the flowers on a cookie sheet in the freezer for a bit and get them hardened up a bit. To make the flower, you touch your tip lightly to your decorating surface and while applying pressure to your decorating bag you twist the tip to form the petals. Then, use a #3 tip to pipe a white dot center into each flower. Once I had my cake decorated with the basic white coat, I added a bead of white icing from a #12 tip to the base of the cake and then used a spatula while the flowers were a bit hardened and scraped them off the wax paper and placed them around my cake.

As for the ribbon roses, they are a bit more involved and I will describe that technique at another time and date. I think the combination of these two flower techniques complement each other quite well.

The next time you need a cake for a special occassion, give this colorful flower cake a try. Then, if you need someone to rescue you, give me a call and we will help you give the Sweetest Expression!!!

2 comments:

  1. LEESA THAT IS JUST GORGEOUS!!! i am so proud of you. YOU HAVE SO MUCH TALENT AT EVERY THING YOU DO. YOU ARE MAKING YOUR MOMMA AND PAPPA PROUD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom! I can't wait to make a cake with my new giant cupcake pan you sent me. I love it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete