Saturday, April 16, 2011

Abracadabra!

Let me tell you that this has been my FAVORITE cake I have worked on thus far! I had so much fun putting this cake together.

I started this cake with two tiers of chocolate cake and vanilla buttercream icing, which was the bottom portion of the black top hat. I covered this in black marshmallow fondant and created a red fondant ribbon for the base of the hat. The brim of the hat is a 10" cake board covered in black fondant.

Once I had the hat assembled, I created colored hankerchieves out of fondant and gumpaste. I laid these on the hat and arranged to make it look like they were coming out of the center of the hat. Once I had these in place, I started working n the rabbit.

The rabbit's head is made of rice krispy treats (RKT) and I placed a dowel out the bottom of it to insert into the cakeboard and cake. I covered the RKT with white gumpaste. The ears were created separately with white gumpaste, a bamboo skewer and then pink fondant in the center of the ears. Once these hardened, I inserted the bamboo skewers into the rabbits head. I added the facial features with fondant and gumpaste. The paws are just pieces of gumpaste that I formed into ovals and then created creases in them, to look like little toes.

The other pieces I created were a magic wand and some playing cards. The wand was crafted from a dowel rod covered in black marshmallow fondant and then added some white gumpaste to both ends. The playing cards are created from gumpaste and I hand painted the hearts and such on them with food coloring.

I absolutely LOVE how this cake turned out! The customer who ordered it could not pick it up today, so she sent a friend instead. I cannot wait to get an online review back from the customer to see what she and her sone, Slate thought of their extra special cake design. I will keep you posted on their comments.

Thanks for following along and reading about my magical cake design.

Happy baking to all!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful!!! Your cake are beautiful! i follow you from italian, i'm also foodblogger, but i work mmf a little bit. bye bye from Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete