Monday, March 14, 2011

Cupcakes for a Special Ballerina

I received a call for an order of cupcakes with ballet decorations. I decided to create a variety of ballet shoes and tutus. The ballet shoes are made from gumpaste and I finished them with pearl luster dust. Then, I added them to the top of the cupcakes and piped the ribbons with buttercream icing. The tutus are also made of gumpaste and I gave a little glitter to them with pearl luster dust, as well. For the bodice portion, I thinned out some clear piping gel and coated the bodice with this mixture. Then, I added the coarse sugar crystals and let it dry. Fort he tutu portion, I piped buttercream for the skirt outline and the pleat accents. All in all, I think these cupcakes turned out SO cute and I was thrilled with the design. I am loving this sugar crystal decorating technique and can't wait to use it again!

Here is a close-up of these adorable little cupcakes so that you can better see the sugar bodice detail and the ribbons on the ballet slippers.

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Sara would flip over those for her birthday. I so wish we lived closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was brave enough to trust the USPS to deliver them in one piece like I should be able to! :o)

    ReplyDelete